Saturday, January 9, 2010

blog post

Thursday, January 7, 2010

I arrived on Thursday evening with my supervisor as well with
Kristiann Fry and her supervisor. The easy coach bus ride took nearly
10 hours. I had dinner with my head teacher and the deputy head
teacher at HT office. We had pilau, ugali, cabbage, and meat. We sat
and talked for roughly and hour. We discussed what my vision was for
teaching and it seemed to go over just fine. I settled in for the
night after the meeting.
I was told that I would recieve breakfast at 7:30am.

Friday, January 8, 2010
The breakfast that was to arrive at &7:30 did not arrive till 9 am.
There was also a teachers conference to plan what was to be taught for
that term at 10. I thought I was told that I would be informed of when
and where that would take place but that did not happen. At 10 I
walked out of my house toward the office buildings. The kids were
telling me that the Deputy was in the building over there. I proceeded
to walk toward it and saw a lot of teachers sitting facing the
blackboard. I was welcomed in and noticed that all of the teachers
names and the classes they were going to be teaching was on the
blackboard. Every teacher had the right to chose which class they
wanted to teach. For most of the time the Deputy was changing and
rearranging the board. In the midst of what seemingly was chaos there
was order. There are 4 deaf teachers (2 male and 2 female) and a few
staff that are deaf.

Saturday, January 9, 2010
This morning I met Kristiann to go to the market with the assistance
of Florence, a lady that works at Kristiann school. Our schools are
only separated by a fence. It takes 5 minutes to get to her house. It
takes 20 minutes to get into town. After Florence shows us where the
posta is, we tell her we can handle the rest of the day on our own.
There is always something to buy, and how I love bargaining. The first
price they give is the mazungu price (white person or tourist price).

I was heading to town again in the afternoon but began conversing with
the watchman and he informed me that the students are going to church
right now. There is not another service tomorrow for the deaf at that
church. While I am conversing with Wilson and Patrick at the gate of
the school, what seems like the entire school is leaving for the
church. Then I decide that I will put off my market excursion till
later and go to the church. The catholic church was full. It had to
have 500 people and they were all pupils. Half of the pupils were
hearing and the other half were deaf. I walk in with Wilson and he
leads me to the front because maybe I was supposed to interpret. Oh
how was he mistaken. At the beginning of the service I found out that
the bishop is asking me if I am going to interpret. I tell Wilson and
the pupils around me that that is not going to happen. I will maybe do
it next year. I could do a so so job if the bishop spoke english. He
of course was speaking Kiswahili of which I know very little. I am
learning every day but definitely not enough to interpret. For roughly
1 ½ hours the deaf signed among themselves and where bored. For a
short time a lady came on stage and interpreted for a little bit. It
would be nice later down the road to interpret. Next Sunday I will try
and different deaf church.

After the service was finished I go to some dukas (shops) that are
closer than the main part of town and look around. I needed a desk to
do my work on and I asked a mama where I can find a carpenter. Upon
finding the carpenter and discussing the dimensions, I will have a
desk personal made and ready next Saturday with a clear coat of
sealant. I am excited. Depending on how things turn out I might buy
some more furniture. Also a bicycle also might be on the agenda pretty
soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment