Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rain Forest, Rafting the Nile, and Genocide Museum

The heading is just a brief summary of what I did for a few days in April. There is so much that I could write and will fill in the gaps later. For now know that I had a wonderful time experiencing the cultures of Uganda and Rwanda. Rafting down the Nile was exhilarating. Observing the genocide museum and the church outside of town stirred up in me so many emotions. Sadness. That a people group could kill close to 1 million people. Anger. Various countries, including the US did not send aid. Heartbreak. Hearing stories of family members die in front of their eyes. Disbelief. Reading that children were mercilessly killed.

Below are pictures of rafting down the Nile in Jinja, Uganda.

The boat crew. We are hitting the rapids head on.


Our raft being flipped by the class 5 rapids (left). Our guide has his foot caught in the raft. Allen (raft mate) came to his rescue and pulled him aboard. (right)

5 comments:

  1. Rafting the Nile, eh? Very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.i think you should come shelve books and let me go rafting next time=).i was bit envious too but then in retrospect i can't swim so nevermind!i read your blog and Marks(but don't tell him that.)i enjoy all the pics. i am glad you both are doing awesome-ly(word?).have fun and be safe!

    april

    ReplyDelete
  3. scott

    I could not believe that I rafted the Nile. My first rafting experience, it will be hard to follow that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April

    Guess what... There are Life jackets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a bit of Styrofoam around my neck…against thousands of tons of raging, pulsating water…not comforting. lol. Jk. Maybe one day.=)

    ReplyDelete