Saturday, February 20, 2010

Kenya Time

Saturday, February 20, 2010
Another instance of Africa time and American time.

Today it was planned that I was to meet a teacher from my school here in Kakamega at 10 am. We were meeting to teach parents of deaf children at our school sign language so that they can better communicate with their children. It is really good to see that their are teachers here at Mumias Primary School for the Deaf that are teaching parents. As well that their are parents who are wanting to learn sign language.

I left this morning at 7:30 and arrived at 8:30. I wanted to get their in plenty of time so I could do some errands I really needed to do before the meeting. One thing I needed was unlock mpesa account on my phone so I could add money and thus use my phone. I accomplished that with little trouble. Well maybe not little. Finding it...yah yah yah. There is nothing like asking 5 people and they give you different directions but all are in the same general directions. Finally, after I had walked for an hour and came full circle to where I started I asked a couple that I was passing. I was looking for some help. Isn’t it nice when you are looking for help and you ask another tourist. But it worked out good because he was able to speak Kiswahili to another gentlemen that was walking by. The tourist couple, who was from Nairobi, translated the man’s answer so I could find the Safaricom Care Center. Once I arrived at the building, I looked around and noticed that I had walked down that street not to long ago.

Also, during my time in the safaricom care center I also was looking at getting another phone. It has been suggested to purchase a backup cheap phone. Why you may ask, incase the primary one gets stolen or stops working it is good to have one. I did not buy the phone, but was comparing prices.

After my trip to the safaricom store, I took a walk through the market. Wow. It was pretty much 4 times larger than mumias. People, fruit, vegetables, clothes and everything else was laid out to be seen. Among the foods that are not normally in Mumias were corn on the stock and pumpkin. It is still amazing that virtually every seller sells the same thing.

Kakamega market

President Kibaki and President Barack Obama
(most if not all business have portraits of President Kibaki but this rare one had Obama as well).

Normally their are hens, goats or cows eating food scraps left in the street. This was the first pig i have seen in Kenya.


I then notice that it is time to meet my teacher for the meeting. I text my colleague to say that I was going to be a few minutes late, Pole (I am sorry). I go to where we are supposed to meet and ask around where we are supposed to meet. I asked what seemed like 10 different people and none of them knew. I was told to just wait as they go and look. I waited and waited. No one find out anything useful besides telling me I don’t know.

I met a lady who is also at the school and she suggested that I could wait with her. She was attending a seminar/lecture for teachers with HIV. I sat and listened to the various lectures who basically said, that your status as being infected with HIV will not change so you should live your life. You have a huge responsibility as a teacher, and thus should be your focus. I never really knew before I arrived here how big hiv/aids among every walk of life really is. Sex is normal and rampant. The act is not the problem, but the lack of protection, limited partners and abstinence. Those are the three main messages that are preached among Africans. Even though people know this information they don’t take the necessary steps.

As I mentioned, I arrived at the meeting place a little late. I waited another 2 hours before the other teacher arrived. If I knew he was going to be late I could have spent more time at the market or doing various other things. Even though I know about africa time, I forgot today for some reason. Maybe next time, i should ask if the meeting is on America time or Kenya time.

After we had a brief meeting with the parents because there was only 5 parents, there are normally 20-30. There might be a meeting next Saturday; I will wait and see.

Once the short meeting was over I visited a RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) who now lives in Kakamega. He did his service in Tanzania and COS (Completion of Service) November of 2009. He was first assigned to Kenya, but because of the violence of the election in 2007 he was moved to tanzania where he stayed for 2 years. It was nice hearing his stories of his travels and his experience as a peace corps volunteer. There is definitely a bond amongst PCVs.

On my way back to the matatu station I wanted to stop by the supermarket to see if they had a rocking chair. Of course they don’t. I was disappointed. I picked up a few things while I was there such as more spices and a food grater. One of these days I am going to get a rocking chair. Also I would really like a hammock, either bought or made.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I'm a 2006 - 2006 sed/ict volunteer from bungoma (just north of you). I'm curious if you or any of the volunteers are using (Or even heard of) the easy to learn KSL poster while you were doing your teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words

    I don't believe i have heard of the KSL poster. Where abouts should I ask to get access. Sorry for the late response.

    ReplyDelete