Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Public Speaking...Fear no more

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Yesterday I took another trip to Kakamega to teach parents of deaf children sign language. This time we had a meeting and we got some things accomplished. Though no parents arrived on time, an hour late, we had a successful meeting. When we finally got to a room to start teaching. We learned early on that one of the parents had not attended the meeting last and did not know the alphabet. My colleague, Shikuku, took the lone gentlemen outside and taught him the alphabet while I was in the room with the remaining 5 women. I did not have anything planned to teach. I first taught them signs for cities in Kenya. I would give the sign and they would then guess the correct city and then finger spell the correct answer. These ladies were very smart. I moved on the animal signs and family. I felt a little embarrassed that I was ill prepared. One thing I don’t like is going to into teaching and not being prepared. All in all the meeting worked out just fine.


During this past week I was asked by my deputy to teach Sunday school at his church. That was something I wanted to do and did not give really a second thought about doing so. I planned a short lesson about judgement day and the sheep and the goats. The kids seemed to like the lesson and also the song I taught them, “This little light of mine.” I have learned that most of the songs sung by kenyans are very simple with very short verses. This song was also short which I chose on purpose. After Sunday school was finished a few of the kids were singing the song.


The deputy then asked if I would go into the service and introduce myself, I obliged. After nearly 20 minutes, the assistant pastor/deputy asked if I would say a few words. I stood up and said, “God is good, All the Time and All the time God is good.” I went on on say that I am teaching at mumias primary deaf school. I will be teaching there for 2 years. I have found the kenya people beautiful, caring and kind. (Before I arrived in kenya/started teaching, I would have been terrified about speaking infront of a congregation. But I was not scared at all. Thankful for that.


I think since I am an american and it is assumed that all americans have money that they will contribute to any cause. I was asked and then basically informed that I was going to bring my church family from america to do a mission work at this church. And that I was going to bring a camera and video next week so that I will show my church back home so they will be more inclined to come. Isn’t it nice, when things are just imposed.


Last week I found a church I really liked. When I arrived there were only 4 people there, including the pastor. I arrived thinking the service was over, but I was mistaken, it had just began. For the next hour or we had church. Wow. It was refreshing to hear the word preached. There was no musical instruments or sound systems only: building, benches-4, and a podium. I can’t wait to go back there. During the service I was asked to lead in a song, I thought…and came up with Holy, Holy, Holy. I sang and the 4 other men joined in. They were appreciative and want me to teach them more american songs.


Most of my evenings are very similar, I cook a large meal that usually has lots of left overs and then spend roughly 2 hours spending time with my students. Since I live on the school compound access and interaction with students is always available. Every evening from 7-9 pm all the students are required to go and sit in their class rooms and read their books and do home work. Their homework is done during the day and returned to the teachers office for grading. And reading consists of looking at pictures. The latter I find very interesting. When I am spending time with them they will turn page after page and sign, “eaten finished.” Some things I have eaten, but for example, snakes, parrots, and rats just to name a few are not ones I have partaken. I spend my time in 2 classes, math and social studies. In light of the fact I really like teaching math I incorporate it into those two hours. A few days ago I made multiplication flash cards for numbers 1-9. The kids really enjoy guessing the correct. What they don’t know is that the more we practice the better they will get. It is good to see when they are able to come up with an answer with out looking at their multiplication chart.


I have noticed there are several things that I could get my hands in for secondary projects. The school needs to use the 3 computers that they have. I know for sure that one of them works, I plugged it in myself. I was told before hand that it had died. Really all it needed was multiple outlet surge protector. Time will tell with this project. The computers are currently being moved out of the library into another room at the school. I am not sure how or what this will look like.


Another possibility is fixing the water tanks. There is no consistent “tap” therefore the water runs out frequently. Keeping your own stash of water on hand at your house is very important. On the school grounds there are 3 large water storage containers, 1000 Liters each. A volunteer before established and had a system working but now it needs to be reassessed. For roughly March through August there is constant rain. It is a shame for the water to not be used. There are “gutters” that catch the rain and funnel it to the large storage tanks. The issue comes in when the connection between gutters and the tank is disconnected or broke. This project seems like a very “simple” one to address. The tanks are in good condition but need to be cleaned out and closed up. I am asking around to find out more about the steps that need to be taken to get it down.


One day last week I was low on water so I made a trip with my two 10 liter buckets to the river. When I arrived there were 10 pupils there washing their clothes and one boy was taking a bath. He was embarrassed and did not know what to do when he saw two mama’s walking by, it was somewhat humorous.


I look forward to teaching P.E. And the kids also look forward to the class. I refuse to copy the other teachers when it comes to p.e. Since it is something I enjoy, I try and do things a little different. Right now I am teaching them how to play volleyball. You may think that they my class 5 kids know how to play since they play everyday after school, normally only the class 7 and 8 kids. There are so many things I want to teach them but my time is so limited. The instruction for skills is at the beginning. I know really all they want to do is play a game. Once we go over a few fundamentals, I let them have fun by playing. I join in also.


Next term I want to start a physical fitness test with my pe class. I remember growing up and having various activities that tested your abilities. For example: sit ups, push ups, sit and reach, running, jumping etc. I am going to have a poster in their class with their names and the activity with the results. At this point I don’t know how often I will do this, 1, 2 or 3 times a week. It should be something that continues throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment