Sunday, March 14, 2010

Time standing still

The past week while I was teaching P.E. outside with my class 5 kids I heard an airplane. I did not think to much about it, oh how was I mistaken. Once the kids saw the plane it was chaotic. They were jumping up and down pointing and signing as if they had seen an UFOs. Not only did my class stop but every other class at the school. Once the other kids notice my kids making a big deal about the plane that the other kids ran outside to see the huge airplane. For 10 minutes I answered questions and watched their reenactments of the plane flying over head. Such questions that were posed, Did you fly on that plane, where is that going, where is it from, and is it making a lot of noise. I found that the present opportunity was worth conversing with the kids about airplanes and flight. Although my class was basically kaput, it was well worth the interaction with the class.


On the weekend I went to Kisumu with several other volunteers for a short road trip and to get away from our sites. Kisumu is the 3rd largest city in Kenya. It definitely has amenities of a big city, but at the same time the charm and the uniqueness of Kenya's. We (6) all stayed at lodge in the heart of town. A warm shower--a commodity-was nice for a little bit. We spent our time walking the streets and shopping. It was the consensus was we wanted to eat well and have some comfort foods: mexican, pizza, brownie’s with ice cream and milk shakes. The meals were more expensive than Mumias but it was worth a change of scenery and food.


On Sunday we woke up and went upstairs for breakfast. Upon completion we ran into some other mazungu’s. We conversed about our travels and what we were doing in Kenya. We shared stories with people from Chicago (working in Bungoma-not far from Mumias), Scotland, and Netherlands. They proceeded to tell us of the roof top view. Upon reaching the roof, the view was spectacular. We had a 360 view of Kisumu, with a good view of Lake Victoria.


Mango Pie

With the assistance of another volunteer, we made a mango pie. It was so good. WOW. That was Friday.


I woke up on Saturday and wanted to walk over to the field just beyond our school to take a gander at the scout troops. (in case you are wondering it is the same as the boy scouts). This is the 100th year of scouting in Kenya. There is going to be a big hoopla this June and July. I went with my camera to take a few pictures and introduce myself to the leaders. What I did not know was that would turn into being offered tea, bread and mandazi (fried pastry). And then being the guest of honor for their opening ceremony. The troop leader asked if I would give a few words to the kids. The kids were from various schools in the region. It was a competition of sorts. I felt like a VIP while being introduced to the area commissioner (A.C.) and assistant area commissioner (A.A.C) for scouts. During my brief talk to the kids I told them that when I was your age (feels weird saying that) that I was a scout and it is something to take pride in because it will benefit you later in life.


Again and again I find the people of Kenya to be very hospitable and friendly. I am continually am asked by kenyans, how do you find this place. I always say the same thing. Kenya is a very beautiful place with friendly and hospitable people.


The A.C. asked if I would invite the kids from the school over for the bonfire later that evening. After juggling a few things we were able to get some teachers to assist me with just a few number of kids. There was a lot of dancing, singing, dramas and of course laughter. The A.C. Wants to have a scout group started a deaf school. He gave me a brochure on the logistics on being a leader for the scouts. I relayed the information to few of the other teachers and they seem very excited about starting a scout group at school. It wasn’t to long ago that I was not a fan of scouting, but how things can change. I am looking forward to helping start a scout group here at the school.


De ja vu. Would you like to give the sermon next Sunday. That was the question posed by the pastor this morning. It seems recent that I was asked a similar question by my deputy head teacher. Although before it was for Sunday school, and this was the actual sermon. I have wondered if this is normal, for people to ask guests to have a big part in the ceremony/service. A fellow teacher told me today, yep it can be normal. I was shoked by the question from the pastor-that was during the service by the way. I told him maybe in a few weeks.


Everyday is an adventure.


This upcoming week is review week before exams the following week. I can’t believe I have made it through my first term. My month break is coming in April. I have tentative plans. I hope to nail down some things later. Rafting down the Nile is an option, but weighing the expenses. I might have to bite the bullet and splurge.

1 comment: