Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Frog Giggin

There are days when you wish you had not promised someone something, well that day was today (15 January). Several months ago and virtually all of last year the kids would always ask me if I have eaten anything from a crocodiles to snakes. They have a fascination about asking if I have eaten snakes, There is a persistence in saying that mzungus eat snakes. I don’t know one person that has. I am not taking into account Andrew Zimmerman (from the Travel Channel). I am really not sure where this fetish comes from. 
Somewhere along the way they asked if I have eaten a frog. I honestly don’t remember eating one, but maybe once or so way back when.  My mom said she had, so I knew it was within the family. In a way to excite and see their disgusted looking faces, I said yes. I told them for some reason if they catch a big one I will cook it for them. Well that day was today. They found a descent size toad and brought it over. Chui (my cat) enjoyed his time playing with the toad with no intention of killing or eating, just playing. There were 3 kids that really wanted to try. I knew one kid would; he ate a live grasshopper in class last year (caught that one on video). I boiled then fried the toad. I gave the arms and legs to the 4 kids (Andrew did not want to try before, but when I finished cooking he wanted to taste). Maybe next time they will get a bigger toad.  
Cultural exchange of some sort.


No comments:

Post a Comment