Saturday, January 15, 2011

New Bed

A year has passed and I have a new bed. The bed that I used for the better part of last year was requested from the school to be used for visitors. I decided that I would rather have a wooden nicely built bed over continuing to use a kid’s bed the school offered me after I gave my original bed back. 
My first opportunity to have a personalized bed was exciting and I got exactly what I wanted; something simple with a book rack on the head board. After two weeks my bed was finished. I went to go pick it up this afternoon and had it taken to the house via a boda boda (bicycle) tied to the back. I am continuously amazed on how and what boda boda’s can carry. I have seen so many things tied to the back: a goat, 7 straw chairs, 4 people, bed and so many others. 
Due to the fact the bed was so big the man riding the boda had to push his bike to the school. Upon arriving at my house several kids were there anxious to ask me who’s bed this was. I informed them that it was mine then they were eager to help me carry out the old kids bed and bring in an adult bed.
There were six kids that had a great interest in helping put the bed together. They went right to work. Bickering and complaining among some of the kids blossomed into lackluster performance and corporation. I told them, “work together.” They got the message and worked on a section at a time making good progress. They came upon a speed bump, the side boards were not sliding into the head and foot board very well. I remember seeing the carpenter put corresponding markings on the boards to indicate which board attaches to what. I explained the importance to the kids of planning ahead so when the time to put something together it can run with less hiccups. We removed what we had done and switched around the side boards and they slid right in. 
These were the six kids that put the bed together.



No comments:

Post a Comment