Sunday, March 6, 2011

Remedial Help

The phrase, you will be teaching remedial/special needs class this term (maybe year), had brought about a lot of stress and anxiety. I was clueless how to teach such a class. I wondered how I was going to survive. I requested from Peace Corps for a fellow PCV to come to my site for one week, 14 February to 18 to do what felt like a miracle. Mary left her site on a Saturday morning and arrived in Mumias Sunday afternoon. Traveling from the coast to western is a two day journey. 
A synopsis
Monday. Mary sat in the class and just observed my co-teacher and myself to get a feel for how we teach and the behaviors of the kids. At the end of the day she ran across me what she observed and things i could possibly do.
Tuesday to Friday.
I implemented a lot of things she noted. There were a lot of things she said that i took to heart and it made a difference. I will list those here. 
-Being attentive to every child--they are all different
-caning is not the answer
-continue using the time out chair for discipline. The chair faces the corner of the wall and the pupil must sit there for a few minutes before returning to his/her seat.
-coming to class prepared is vital. There are kids that need the artwork drawn for them.  need to do that before and not when i am through teaching.
-after i finish teaching and give out the exercise books i go around the class giving high fives and encouragement to the kids. Without being prepared i can not do that.
-the more visuals for the kids to see the better. One day i brought in a live kuku (chicken). Yes, their attention was held.
-when a kid or two are misbehaving i need to go around to the other kids that are working well and give HIGH 5's to say they are doing good. The 2 misbehaving kids will notice.
-when multiple kids are being disruptive i must chose the appropriate battle to fight. I can not address all of the needs at one. I should chose the situation that is most important and more than likely if that one stops the others will simmer down as well.
-implementing a behavior chart-this is inclusive of class rules (no fighting, do your work,  and stay in class). If the pupil can do these i will give them a reward after two periods. I must start on a small scale. The better behaved the kids become the longer between rewards. The behavior chart is taped to the wall so the kids can see whether they are following the rules.
If you would have seen my class Monday then came again on Friday, it was night and day. I told Mary there were a few instances during the week where i was speechless. "I am confused, it is quite and they are all working. That has never happened. “
With out a doubt her visit has done wonders for my self confidence, behavior of the kids, and allowing myself to teach and not try to manage behavior the entire period.

No comments:

Post a Comment